TSheets and Intuit Practice Management powered by Karbon integration setup guide
You can track time against contacts or work in Intuit Practice Management by integrating your account with TSheets. This guide will walk you through the steps to connect your TSheets account to Intuit Practice Management and begin tracking time.
Before you get started
If you are an existing TSheets user, you must take the time to ensure that your contact names in Intuit Practice Management match any codes in TSheets before you connect the two apps.
This is a critical step—any Intuit Practice Management contacts that don’t match a TSheets code will be created as a new code in TSheets.
To avoid creating duplicates, we recommend exporting your codes from TSheets and comparing them with your Intuit Practice Management contacts. Take the time to ensure your client names in TSheets match your contact names in Intuit Practice Management.
Connecting your accounts
Step 1. Connect to TSheets
From Settings, choose Connected apps. You'll then be able to connect with TSheets.
You'll be given the option to connect an existing account, or if you don’t have a TSheets account, you’ll also be able to create one with a 14-day free trial.
Step 2. Choose what to sync
Once you have connected your TSheets account you will be able to set up your integration settings.
You can choose to track time against each contact, or both contacts and work items.
Note: Choosing to sync your work will create codes in TSheets for all of your Intuit Practice Management work items. So, if you will only be tracking time against clients, keep things clean by only selecting to sync your contacts.
You then select what contact types you will track time against. For example, if you don't need to track time against Suppliers, you can leave that contact type unchecked.
Once you click Save & Sync, the data you have chosen will be synced with TSheets. You can now begin to track time from either Intuit Practice Management or your TSheets dashboard.
Entering time in Intuit Practice Management
There are three places you can add time in Intuit Practice Management:
Add time from a work item
Once connected to TSheets, you will notice a new tab in each work item: Time. From here, you can choose Add Time Entry.
You will then be able to enter time for the work item, the date and duration, and any notes.
Add time from a contact
Your contacts will also now have a new Time tab. From here, you can choose Add Time Entry.
Add a time entry from global add
From your global add icon (+) in the top right, select Time Entry. You'll then have the option to add time against a contact or work item that you search for.
When adding time from this option, you will not be able to locate the 'None' contact. You must search for and use another contact to add time against.
If you wish to add time against the 'none' contact, you will need to add time directly on that contact, or on one of their work items.
Viewing tracked time in Intuit Practice Management
You will be able to view any time that has been tracked and entered on the Time tab of the contact or work item. This includes the time that has been entered in both Intuit Practice Management and TSheets, and will also outline which team member has tracked what time.
In Intuit Practice Management, you will see the last six months of time that has been entered.
Entering time in TSheets
In your TSheets account, you can enter time in Time Entries by selecting the codes to record time for. This time that you record will then be visible in Intuit Practice Management on the corresponding contact and/or work item.
Note: If you sent to TSheets both clients and work, then you can only record time against work items, not clients in TSheets. However, you can add time for both in Intuit Practice Management to see the results in your TSheets reporting.
Viewing tracked time in TSheets
You can also view time entries in TSheets, which have been entered against contacts or work items in either app. From your TSheets dashboard, select Time Entries.
Advanced time tracking in TSheets
If you use advanced tracking features in TSheets you can enter these non-time related metrics within Intuit Practice Management too. From any of the time entry modules, you can select the advanced tracking category, which will allow you to enter your data or select from the drop-down options.
Highlights to consider:
- If you can't see the time tab on a contact or work, it will most likely be because the contact hasn't been sent to TSheets. This is usually caused by the contact type not being one set to link to TSheets. If you want to change this, you can update your TSheets integration settings.
- If you sync both contacts & work, but decide to only track time against contacts and want to remove the work codes from TSheets, you will have to do this manually. Therefore we recommend you only sync what you need.
- When syncing both contacts & work, once you track time on a specific work item for a contact, you will no longer be able to track time at the contact only level for that specific contact.
- If you change a contact or work name in Intuit Practice Management, the TSheets code will also be updated.
- On the other side, if you update a name in TSheets, it does not come back into Intuit Practice Management. While the names will now differ, they will remain in sync in regards to time.
- All your time data is stored in TSheets, and Intuit Practice Management only brings in the last six months of time. This is something we are seeking feedback on, so if you'd prefer earlier time to be brought into Intuit Practice Management, please let us know.
- All new contacts and work added into Intuit Practice Management will automatically go to TSheets (if you have chosen that item type to link to TSheets). However, any new contacts added into TSheets will not be automatically update to Intuit Practice Management.
- If you change a contact for work in Intuit Practice Management, the TSheets code will remain linked, but you will need to move the work to the new client inside TSheets. If you don't do this, TSheets will report under the old client.
- Time recorded on work items does not track up to the client level. You record time on the contact or work item, and they are separate totals.